Friday, June 24, 2011

Always

I received a call from a very dear friend not long ago that opened my eyes to a new way of thinking. I had said it before, but it hadn't actually clicked until our conversation. She called me in tears apologizing for not keeping up with me as I was enduring the waves of hardships I'm still riding. She said she had been going through a lot in her own life, but didn't feel like her problems were nearly as serious as mine. I quickly responded with, "Someone's always got it worse than you, but that doesn't make what you're going through any less significant. Vent away." I then began to wonder how many of my friends felt that way. Were my waves somehow too big for other people to ride them with me? Was I the "someone" who always had it worse?
My pastor spoke on what it meant to be a part of the body of Christ this week. If even one part of that body doesn't do it's job, the whole thing is in disarray. Much to some people's surprise, the church (body) isn't a building and it's more than just a place to gather on a Sunday. People need people more than they need a pew.
My point is: we're all in this together. If the hardships you're currently facing somehow seem insignificant compared to mine then stop comparing. We need each other just like the left foot needs the right. 1 Corinthians 12 isn't a mistake.


If We Are The Body - Casting Crowns

1 comment:

  1. I needed to hear that. I have been crying about my long-distance relationship that will probably last a while, thinking of your strength. I love you! I need a phone date with you soon!

    ReplyDelete