Thursday, October 6, 2011

Reminiscing

The original version of Strength. Written April 12th, 2011. 

Many have been asking about this phase in our lives. It hasn't been easy, but God is good... 

Benjamin Popejoy Webb was born via c-section Tuesday, March 29th, 2011, at 7:16pm. 5 pounds 11 ounces of pure perfection. I had the best doctor and most wonderful nurses that day/night. They wheeled in my little munchkin and I stayed awake most of the night just staring. It was easy; God is good. 

Wednesday, March 30th, Ben spent most of the morning with doctors. They diagnosed him with jaundice and he was sent to the NICU to work on his tan. Micah and I visited him and I was able to feed him throughout the day. That evening, during one of his feedings, Micah stepped out of the NICU to greet his cousin who had flown in from North Carolina. While he was gone, the nurse practitioner sat me down and explained that the pediatrician had noticed some very distinct features that looked like Ben may have Down Syndrome. As tears fell on the pamphlets she had handed me, Micah came back and I heard the news for a second time. It wasn't easy, but God is good.

Thursday, March 31st, was another day of the slow walk to the NICU. The shock was wearing off, I was starting to move more and Ben was perfect. We were moved to a different room and we thought everything was fine. It wasn't. I was sick and didn't know it. My blood levels went from 10 to 5. My heart-rate was too high and my skin had changed color. After a restless, frustratingly long night of not knowing what was going on with my own body, a blood transfusion was started at 7:45 the next morning. I hadn't slept since Monday. It wasn't easy, but God is good.

Friday, April 1st; there was power in the blood. My levels increased and my body was doing it's job. Ben's jaundice levels were going down, the blood was drawn to test for Down Syndrome and leaving the next day was looking promising. It was easy; God is good.

Saturday, April 2nd. We're both discharged. We're home by 1:30pm. Finally.
God. Is. Good. 

Many have remarked about how strong I am. 
Don't let me fool you. 
I'm not strong. 
My Savior is. 

Psalm 29:11

Micah's gone back to Afghanistan now. He will be back home (hopefully) in August. 
It won't be easy, but God is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment