Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine

Our first Valentines Day was one for the record books [or not]. We were in high school and were trying to figure out how to get to know each other under the circumstances we were in. I came home from school that afternoon and found a converse box full of Hershey bars and a note that said something to the effect of, "I really dig you." Ah, young love...
Micah and I are best friends. We share a bond that can't be broken by distance, hardships, misunderstandings or differences. We've proven that. A lot. If there's one thing we've learned throughout the years, though, it's that relationships take work. Eventually the honeymoon ends and you've got to learn how to rely on more than just love. 

I remember a conversation with a friend going something like this:

Her: "Ugh - I don't understand why he didn't help me get the kids ready for church this morning. I could have really used his help, but he decided to do other things instead. So frustrating!"
Me: "Did you ask him to help you?"
Her: "No. He should've known."
Me: "But if you didn't ask him, how is he supposed to know?"
Her: "It's Sunday."

Sunday or not, ladies, men can't read your mind. Just communicate. It's not as difficult as we make it out to be. Asking our husbands for help, telling him what's going on in our heads or having to explain something further doesn't make us insignificant or needy. It makes us women. It makes them men. We're wired differently and that's the beauty of relationships. That's been a learning experience for us both, but so worth the effort to figure it out.
*Soapbox, out.*

Moving on...

Today was peaceful. Ben and I enjoyed the company of our Mom and Tots group, mailed Daddy a package and came home to perfect open windows weather. While Ben and the dogs napped, I took that time to just stop. I ignored what needed to be done and allowed myself to breathe. I began to write and remind myself of the beauty that is... life. 

I semi-forgot about Valentines Day until these arrived yesterday. Hubs still knows how to make my heart pitter-pat even from the other side of the world. Ah, older love....



Truthfully, though, Micah is the best. His generous spirit, teddy bear hugs, get-lost-in baby blues and infectious laugh make my life complete. We go together like Hershey bars and converse boxes. God knew what He was doing when He brought us together all those years ago.

And because I can't pass up a good challenge... 

My darling love, 
I, Amber, do vow to you, Micah, my everlasting faithfulness, support and abiding love. I promise to stand beside you in good times and bad. I promise to continue to let you make me go weak at the knees. I promise to respect and honor you. I promise to cherish your heart and give you mine. I adore you. I need you. I'm proud to be called your wife.

Happy Valentine's Day! 

3 comments:

  1. I just loved this! You can surely see why I'm so delighted Micah married you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Amber! Made me cry. You, Micah and Ben are blessed to have each other....what a wonderful family you make! My husband and I like your father always pray for GOD to give our two boys wisdom beyond their years...how wonderful to see GOD answered your parents prayers.
    Amber, don't ever stop writing. GOD gave you a beautiful, powerful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, you don't know me but we must have a mutual friend.
    Anyhow I have very much enjoyed your blogs and can relate with you in so many ways.
    My husband, whom I've been with for 14 years and married to for almost 12 years, has been deployed 2 times to Iraq. He has since decided to leave the "Big Army" as he calls it and do the Reserves.
    We have been blessed with the opportunity for him to be a civilian contractor, working with NATO in Iraq. We do the 3-1 rotation as well and it is so much harder than we could have imagined. We have 4 beautiful children together that miss their daddy terribly while he is gone.
    We have been at this for 2 years now and it has come to an end (at least in Iraq) for now. It was inspiring to read that someone is/has going/gone through what we are. Sometimes I feel I am alone in this journey.
    Skype has been an absolute life saver for my sanity. Just being able to see his face and hear his voice makes the rest of my day just that much better.
    Thank you for sharing your life with the rest of the world wide web. I too live in FL and just love it here.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete