Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Good

Feeling somewhat inspired tonight. Maybe it's sleepless delirium, maybe it's the Teavana tea I've added to my list of obsessions, maybe it's the fact that my hubs will be home in mere days. Did I mention that?   


Life is good. I know I'm an optimist by nature, but bare with me for a sec. Life is good. For years, I heard how terrible the world is and how we, as Christians, are supposed to be the total opposite of what the world asks. A laundry list of "dont's" that clearly "Satan himself is involved in." Our feathers get riled up when someone mentions having a beer with chicken wings, someone dyes their hair purple and gets a tattoo or seeing a woman holding hands with someone of the same sex. We get angry. Like it's somehow our job to rebuke the devil out of these peoples souls because someone else's sin is somehow greater than our own. Am I the only one who grew up in an ABC (Angry Baptist Church)? Now, don't ban me from your friends list for calling out Baptists churches. I'm not trying to put them in a box because I know a lot of them aren't like that; just telling you my own experience. All I'm saying is - remind yourself of this every so often: sin is sin and you are not God. Our job is not to be angry at the world. It's really not. Our job is to love. We are to pass down God's love. His wrath is not ours to portray. Jesus loves you. Being a Christian has everything to do with this: 


Luke 10: 25-37
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”


Live it, dude. You have good news to share. Put down the "God hates you" signs and hug somebody. 


Soak up life because life is good.  


Happy almost Fourth. Eat a hotdog and take your kids to see fireworks. 


Goodnight. 


If you just read that and have further questions, statements or reactions feel free to message me here, send me an email or shoot me a Facebook message. I'd love to chat about what Jesus did for you. 

4 comments:

  1. Very well put and written Amber! You are a gifted writer....never stop doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, and grew up in an AND church (Angry Nondenominational Church) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting...God keeps putting this in front of me! I guess I need to hear it. Yes, a sin is a sin is a sin and being Judgmental is not a good way to show others Jesus and the love of God. Shampoo...rinse...REPEAT! Maybe it will sink in this time! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thoughts. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "angry"... but there is room for hatred within the Christian life--just not toward those created in the image of God. We are to hate evil and cling to what is good (Rom. 12:10). The great thing about that verse is that the first part of it is talking about love! We become "actors" or "hypocrites" when we do not live in accordance with who we are. As His children, we must hate what He hates and we must love what He loves. If we love what He doesn't love, we are displaying Christ inaccurately--if we hate what He loves, we are displaying Christ inaccurately!

    May God continue to give us grace to love and do good to ALL men and especially those within the household of faith, love what He loves, and hate what He hates for His glory.

    ReplyDelete