Friday, December 20, 2013

Worth It

My heart aches today. It's not often that I get emotional about controversial issues. I figure everybody has the right to their own opinion. But THIS? This just sucks the life right out of me. 

I know I've posted a lot about the hard days; especially since Lexi's diagnosis. I'm not sorry about that, but I don't want you to get the wrong impression. 

Yes, I have two children who need more care than most. 

Yes, the hard days take precedence sometimes.   

Do I ever wake up and wonder why God chose me, of all people, to be their Mama? Absolutely. 

But...

Do I ever wish they weren't here? Sweet Lord, absolutely NOT. 

It's true that we didn't know about either diagnosis beforehand. We opted not to have prenatal screenings with either pregnancy. 1) Because of the invasiveness of the procedure and 2) Because it wouldn't change the outcome.  

In the aforementioned article, the parents of Oliver (who is 5 years old now, by the way) said that if they had truly known ahead of time, they would have terminated the pregnancy. In other words, if they could do it over again, homeslice and her husband would've purposefully ended Oliver's life. 

And, maybe even more disturbing, is that more than one person agreed with that statement. 

You can argue that this has nothing to do with whether or not Oliver's parents love him. I would disagree with you with my whole damn heart. You cannot both love your child and quote "want him terminated." 

Forgive me (or don't) for the way this may come out... 

But praise God Benjamin and Alexis are mine. Much like when I posted about the way children with disabilities are treated in other countries, I feel so beyond ecstatic that I am able to provide a safe and healthy environment for two very, very special kids. 

Though some days are, inevitably, more difficult than others... 

My children are my life. And life is always, ALWAYS worth it. 




One day; one sweet, blessed day... Things will change. 

"No matter what stage of development, no matter the level of physical or intellectual abilities, no matter the race or gender, every human life has dignity and should be nurtured and protected. To claim any child's birth as 'wrongful,' or that having a disabled child is a 'tragedy' as the Valley Medical Center's statement declared not only rejects the inherent dignity of little Oliver, but of all human life."

1 comment:

  1. I just adore you so much. Everything so said about that article is spot on...and I'm pretty glad Ben and Alexis belong to you too, because ALL of you are in my life!

    ReplyDelete