Monday, July 28, 2014

Fit

I have very clear memories of climbing up in my dad's lap when I was little. He'd sit down in his big recliner and tap his leg, motioning for me to join him. We'd read a book or watch an old western. I felt safe and secure, sometimes falling asleep. 

Have you ever looked around and pondered where exactly you fit in the great big, crazy world? Maybe you think you look different than everybody else - too different; maybe you've done things you're not proud of and you think nobody understands; maybe you're like me and have a story you're still working your way through. 

(Throwin' it way back, y'all. Me and my pop circa 1988.)

I threw a doozy of a pity party the other day. Describing incidents that other people had on their plates. Venting to Micah and wanting him to fix it without actually fixing it. I said something like, "I want to sweat the small stuff. I want to worry about what these people worry about. I want to be on the other side of whatever 'this' is." 

After venting to Micah, I figured it was only necessary to give God an equal earful. "I just want to fit somewhere."

Then I had this very clear picture of God holding out His hand, pointing right in the middle; "You fit right here." I felt safe and secure and fell asleep.  

I don't have it all figured out, but I've come a long way. I don't always understand, but I'm not sure I need to. You can't know it all and still have faith. 

It's simple. It's not about me. As much as I want to fit here, it really only matters that I fit there. You fit there too, ya know. Maybe you're like me and used to get caught up in judgment and stepping as lightly as possible so you don't piss off God. This whole "Jesus loves you but only when you follow these 500 simple steps," when the truth is that Jesus loves you. Period. No if's, and's, but's or when's. 

He just does. 


No comments:

Post a Comment