Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pickles and Promises


I'm an old soul. I love old movies, old TV shows, old houses. Now that we live in Mayberry, I've deemed it necessary to brush up on my Andy Griffith Show knowledge. Have you seen the pickle episode? The short version is that Aunt Bea's homemade pickles aren't exactly on the favorites list for Andy, Barney and Opie. At the end of the episode, Andy and Barney try to decide what to do with said heinous pickles. Andy reluctantly exclaims, "We'll do what we shoulda done in the first place... Learn to love 'em."

I'm not sure if this is proof that I'm crazy or that God can really use anything to teach me a lesson, but I indeed learned something with that statement.

I said in my last post that we can't get out of the valley. I've been in this season of intense anger. This song played at church on Sunday. In the midst, I found myself raging on the inside. "I trusted you... and look what happened." I proceeded to list all the things that make me angry; as if He didn't already know.

A few days later I heard Andy say that line. "Just learn to love 'em."

Learn to love it.

I can spend all this time complaining and adding extra knots to my burdened shoulders, but it doesn't change anything. I can worry about my husband and my babies all day long if I want to, but it doesn't do any good. I can yell and scream at my Creator and try to claw my own way out of this freakin' valley, but that doesn't mean I'll get out.

As Christians, we're called to praise Him in the storm. To be thankful for trials and hard times - - valleys. That seemed a little bizarre to me until recently.

But the idea is not that if we praise Him, if we're thankful, that it will change any of the circumstances. What happens when we change our mode of thinking and focus on Jesus? What happens when we notice the good things and focus on the blessings instead?


We just learn to love the valley


No comments:

Post a Comment